Friday, November 11, 2011

What Happens At The End?

What is quality of life?

I'm doing my careplan on my patient this week, listening to sad music, and wondering what I would want if I was 100 years old and had a stoke, and innumerable other problems.

Would I want to be kept alive when I don't know what is going on around me?  What if I can't eat or drink?  If I'm forced to wear a brief?  Or if someone has to come in a turn me over every 2 hours because I can't even move to get in a more comfortable position?

Sometimes I wonder about quality vs. quantity.  The more I'm in the hospital for clinicals, the more I think about it.

I'm not afraid of dying, because I know I would be with Jesus, but I'm afraid of getting old and being unable to care for myself.  I like to care for people, not have to depend on others to do basic things for my hygiene needs.

I'm not depressed, just thinking about getting old scares me.

Maybe it's time for me to do my Five Wishes.

"For this God is our God for ever and ever: he will be our guide even unto death." Psalm 48:14

No comments:

Post a Comment