Wednesday, September 28, 2011

This Is It?

This isn't what I expected nursing to be.  There is so much paperwork.  I wanted to be a nurse because I did not want to sit behind a computer alllllll day.  But somehow, my life is reduced to computer work.

I really shouldn't complain about writing papers and all, because all students have to write papers or look at Power Points.  But I didn't realize that I would have to drag a computer around with me all day while working at the hospital.

I get it though, If you don't document it, it isn't done.  And I get, Don't think of it as a hassle, just think of documentation as good nursing and as a part of your job.

But I still get annoyed when I feel like all I do is look at medication orders and patient histories when I feel I lack in good assessment skills, the real nursing stuff.

And, yes, I spoke with the clinical instructor about it, and hopefully she will help me tomorrow.  I'll try and update you on it.

I guess I didn't realize that nurses seem to just hand out medications and document that they did as such.  A robot could pass out medication.  I didn't pay all this money and spend all this time to become a robot with warm hands.

I think that I thought there would be more hand-holding and less typing.

Please tell me I'm wrong, and that it gets better.  Maybe I just have the senior-itis.  Or maybe I'm just not on the right floor.  Or maybe whatever.  I just hope it gets better.  It has to get better.

I did enjoy following the middle school nurse around today though.  She was not chained to the computer (but maybe to the phone, she seemed to make a hundred phone calls while I was there, but at least she was interacting with people).

"And the Lord answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it.  For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry." Habakkuk 2:2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment