Sunday, February 13, 2011

DNP, Has A Nice Ring To It

The other day at the Virginia Nursing Student Association convention I heard something very interesting.  The Keynote speaker was a DNP, a Doctor of Nursing Practice.


She was funny and fun, throwing candy out into the sea of half awake half asleep nursing students.  She showed pictures of her family and introduced us to her theory of nursing.  Then she told a story that I have been thinking about for a week now.


She spoke of her work at the medical practice she works at, where doctors and nurse practitioners work together in the same office.  She told of a conversation she had with a doctor there.  He asked her:


"Why do you insist on having people call you a doctor when you are a nurse? I'm a doctor."


"Because 'doctor' refers to how long you have been to school and your level of education, not your vocation.  You should call yourself a physician."


I'm not sure why this impressed me so much, but it did.  I'm glad she had an answer so quickly.  I think I really have to get my post-graduate degree now.


"When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." Mark 2:17

No comments:

Post a Comment