Sunday, February 6, 2011

Two Firsts

I went to my first nursing convention this weekend.  The Virginia Nursing Student Association convention in Lynchburg, VA at Liberty University.


I, the President of my school's Student Nurses Association, my Treasurer, and my Liaison for the satellite campus went to convention.


It wasn't what I expected, but it was good and I would definitely go back.


I expected a pep-talk (the opening ceremony was a pep-talk) or a this-is-why-you-should-go-into-this-field-of-nursing talk, but it was more of a information about different fields.  I'm not sure what exactly I'm going to tell my classmates about it, other than I had a good time and enjoyed it.  I hope they ask me questions because I will answer them.  Maybe I'll blog about the different break out sessions later.

There were also recruiters there for different hospital systems in Virginia.  I didn't recognize any of them though, they seemed to be more in the southern Virginia area.



It was really cool to see all the other students and get to talk to them a bit.  I'm guessing there were > 400 nursing students there.  I hope they post how many students did show up.


We left a little early because it was a long day and we were tired.  And I got a speeding ticket on the way home.  Ugh.  Big dislike.  It was on a part of the highway that is under construction and the speed limit went from 60 to 45, and he said I was going 63, although I thought I was going 59 (you're thinking, "Katie, that's still speeding."  I know, just saying.)  He walked up to my car and touched my community college parking sticker that is expired from last summer and then came up and talked to me.


He asked, "do you know why I pulled you over."


"Yes, I think I do."


"Why were you speeding?"


"'Cause I was talking."


"Where are you going?"


"Home, after leaving a NURSING convention." I thought it would help if I told him we were nurses.  It didn't.


"Drivers licence and registration please."


I give him my paperwork and he gives me a ticket, my first ticket.


He took off that I was speeding in a construction zone because there was no one working on a Saturday.  Thanks.


Twas a long day.  But other than the ticket I would do it all over again.


"Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." Hebrews 10:25

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a good time, did you get any cool swag?

    Ya gotta be more careful when driving kiddo!!

    ReplyDelete