Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Pet Peeve #4

People who say things like, "Well, I turned out okay, so why not keep doing it."


Example one: They could be referring to their parents making them use cry it out sleeping method.  Thinking that since their parents let them cry it out, it is fine for their kids.  No.  Not good.  Here is proof.


Example two: The thinking that, "well I got all of my vaccinations, and I turned out okay, why not give them to my children."  A picture is worth a thousand words.  (My basic point when it comes to vaccinating your children is to do your own research.  If you look into it for yourself, and not listen to other church ladies or grandma or even the doctor [who gets paid to vaccinate your child], you can make an informed decision for yourself and your child.)


Why would you want your child to turn out OKAY?  It's fine for a movie you just saw to be OKAY.  Or it's fine for cookies you made to be OKAY.  But your child?  Really?  When I have children, I want them to be outstanding, excellent, and intelligent, not just okay.


Example three: Even the idea of, "this is how it was, 40 years ago, when I went to nursing school, so this is what we're going to do now", is silly.  Nursing changes, so education needs to change as well.  Strive for excellence, not okay-ness.


Example four: Even thinking, "we've always made pork chops with Shake 'n Bake, even though it's not my favorite, because it's okay", is lame. 


I think my point is I don't think we should just keep doing things the same way forever.  If they aren't working, change.  If there is new research, change.  If there are better recipes, change.


I don't want to live an okay live, I want to look back on my 100 years of life and think, I'm happy with what I did and who I became.  Because we only have one life to live, make it SHINE!!!


"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

3 comments:

  1. I have a severe concern about your apprehension to vaccinations. We dont give them to people because "thats just what we've always done." We do it cause one its cost effective and two it SAVES LIVES.

    For my first point i will cite. http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/peds.2009-1653v1
    In the recent whooping cough out break, because parents didn't vaccinate their children, the average cost was of over 10,000 dollars to the health care field and over 700 dollars in family cost. While according to the CDC, http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/vfc/cdc-vac-price-list.htm,
    It only costs 3 dollars for a pertussis vaccine.

    I mean was curring polio just a way for pharmaceutical companies to make a buck?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,

    I like your post - you are saying to investigate and make your own decisions. That's the only way to be responsible.

    ReplyDelete