Sunday, June 12, 2011

A Cat Skeleton

Once upon a time, I was in the fourth grade.


And we had to do a "science fair project".


It was really more of a research-tri-fold-board-project.


I did mine on cats.  And I had a big cat skeleton picture as the centerpiece of my board.  The board was yellow and snazzy.


The directions for the project said to have a hypothesis.


My parents were helping me with my project, and told me I didn't need a hypothesis because I wasn't taking a poll and doing research.  It was just a report thing.


Me: NOOOOOOO, I NEED A HYPOPOTHESIS.
Mother:  Katie, you're not doing research, you don't need a hypothesis.
Me: BUT THE PAPER SAYS I NEED A HYPOPOTHESIS.
Father: Katie, it's okay.  You don't need a hypothesis.
Me: *tear* Are *sniff* you *wipe tear* sure?
Mother: Yes!
Father: Yes.


So I believed them.


But, no.  They were mistaken.  I got marked off for not having a hypothesis.


I'm pretty sure I got first place in the science fair though.


And if I remember correctly, someone was doing their project on dolls, like glass dolls, or something, and their hypothesis was "Most girls like dolls."  I don't remember who's project this was, but I give you props for getting the points for a hypothesis like that.  Did you do a poll of at least 30 people to find out if that was true?

By the way, Dictionary.com defines hypothesis like this: "a proposition, or set of propositions, set forth as an explanation for the occurrence of some specified group of phenomena, either asserted merely as a provisional conjecture to guide investigation (working hypothesis) or accepted as highly probable in the light of established facts."

"Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,  Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." Matthew 22:35-39

3 comments:

  1. Peering out from under the bus --

    LOL - That paper did NOT need a hypothesis!! (And I do know who did the doll project ...) And you did will the science fair in your grade category, IIRC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have gotten over the disappointment and forgiven us!

    Love

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. correction: WIN, not well.

    ReplyDelete