Sunday, August 7, 2011

My Prayer Time/TCL #3

Maybe it's time to stop looking at my life and start living it.

"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep." John 10:10-11

I'm am going to do today, and not worry about yesterday or tomorrow.

"Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever." Hebrews 13:8

I can ask God for anything because of Jesus.

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:16

And have nothing lacking.

"The young lions do lack, and suffer hunger: but they that seek the LORD shall not want any good thing." Psalm 34:10

No matter how I feel, Jesus is still there for me always.

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9.

With the truth being told, I have a hard time remembering all this when it comes right down to it.

I pray over my food and when someone comes to me and asks me to pray for a specific need. I even remember needs people have told me as I see their name on Facebook and pray for them. But when I comes to the important things, I worry.

Or, listen to this, I think I can bank prayer (and maybe even Bible reading).

Like for example, my senior year of high school, I knew I wanted direction from God about what to do about college and what His plan was for me (because "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." Jeremiah 29:11), so I figured I would pray about it and get direction. Then I got it. And I didn't have the urgency to pray as much anymore.

I honestly was thinking - I need to have a good relationship with God now so that in a couple of months when I start needing to make decisions with my life, I can hear God's voice. Because apparently I thought that, you can't just sit in your room one day and pray for awhile and expect to hear God's voice right then. You need to build a relationship. Which I think it true. We do need to "work on" our relationship with God. We need to read our Bibles and pray consistently.

But that idea, that thought process kind of makes it seem like God is going to ignore me because I was ignoring Him. But I don't think God is that friend who you after you've been out of town for a while and you come back and call them up, ignores you for being gone for so long, and you have to coax them into going out with you. God doesn't play mind games with us. God loves us.

I guess there is balance. I just got to ask Him where it is.

I think the point of this is that I need to pray more. But not only for direction, but for relationship. Because that is what Jesus and Christianity and church is all about, relationship.

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

And: TCL #3 -- Theological conversations.

And and, I shot guns today. So that was fun. And last week we went to a major league baseball game (my first); that was fun too.

And and and, the hardest part for me when writing blogs isn't the actual blog, but the title. I'm not sure why.

No comments:

Post a Comment