Friday, December 10, 2010

President Hart, please stand up.

So, I'm the 2011 President of the Student Nurses' Association.


Today I did my first thing as President.  I went to the Pinning and Hooding Ceremony for the new nursing school graduates.  I basically just handed out programs and tore tickets.  But I got to sit in the second row of the auditorium with the rest of the SNA and the faculty.  I liked it.  I mean, I really enjoyed it.


I met the new Treasurer of the SNA, she is really nice.  Haven't really got to talk too much to the Vice President and the Secretary, but all in good time.


Treasurer and I sat next to each other during the ceremony, and I told her before it started that I was probably going to cry through the ceremony.  (I wanted to say that my emotions are basically always on their period, and could cry at a moments notice, but I didn't.)  She laughed at me, because the prospect of me, a chick she met an hour earlier crying over a graduation ceremony where I know zero of the graduates was funny to her apparently. So I held my tears in.  Not that they didn't try to come.


I don't know, there is just something about graduations and weddings and ceremonies in general that make me emotional.


I recently figured out that I am currently done with 40% of nursing school.  40%!!!  Can you believe that??  And no, I'm not a math magician, I'm a nurse, who must do math in her head.  I'm done with 2 semesters out of 5 semesters.  Or 4 out of 10.  Which is 40%.  Easy.


40%.


I'm really excited about that.


I felt comfortable at school the other day.  Let me try and explain it.  A couple of us were doing this review for Skills class and the teacher was hosting it.  But in this class, I was comfortable.  The teacher was nice and saying funny things, and knew everyone's name, and it was comfortable.  The hallways are familiar.  The mailbox is always in the same place.  I don't have to hunt down the bathrooms because I know where they are.  When I see my class schedule, I don't have to take a dry run of the building the day before because I know what number the rooms are.  I was comfortable.  It was like an epiphany.  I like it there.  I like school.  I like being a nurse.  I like being in a place where all the teachers are women.  Smart, educated, strong - women.


I'm excited to come home for Christmas break and see everyone, especially all the new little babies that were born.


I'm going to be cleaning my apartment this week/end.  Its a mess.


"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

2 comments: