Sunday, January 2, 2011

Literally

When I read the Bible, I read it very literally.


When I read, "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light," (Genesis 1:3), I believe that is what happened, just as it says.


When the book of Job describes a dinosaur, "Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox. Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly. He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together. His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron," (Job 40:15-18), I believe that Job actually saw a dinosaur.


When the Bible says, "And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured," Luke 1:28, I believe that there was an actual angel in the room speaking to Mary.  It wasn't a dream or a vision, but an actual angel.


When the Bible says, "And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you," (Luke 22:19-20), I believe Jesus intended us to take Communion believing the words Jesus used "this is my body."  He said "this is my body," not it represents my body.  But I do believe the Bible when Jesus says, "Go thy way; thy faith hath made thee whole," (Mark 10:52).


I think my point is that believing that Communion is the actual body and blood of Jesus is like speaking in Tongues.  Believing in the actuality of the body and blood of Jesus/speaking in Tongues isn't necessary for us to get to Heaven, but it makes Christian living a whole lot easier.

1 comment:

  1. 1 Corinthians 11:24
    And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. (King James Version)

    Remembrance in Strong's Concordance: #364 = anamnesis = bringing the effects of a past event to bear on the present.

    ReplyDelete