Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My First, Kind Of

Today was my first day of classes.


I was nervous; I'm not ashamed to admit it.  But I was prepared this time.  Third times a charm I guess.


I had my binders organized with dividers, and syllabi and outlines in tow.  I charged my Ipod and my computer.  I had multiple pens and highlighters in my pencil case.  (Don't you think its funny how we all call it a pencil case whether or not it has pencils in it.)  I had plenty of snacks and 3 waters bottles (one in my purse and two in my backpack).  I'm worried about dehydration during three three hour lectures, but funny enough, I only drank one. I even had a note card with my schedule on it so I didn't forget.


It was ugly weather this morning.  But I got out of bed at 7:15 and got ready.  I even had time to eat oatmeal this morning, which rarely happens because I usually run out of time and stuff food in my pockets and eat in the car or in class if I had to put my makeup on in the car.  I got out of the house on time, 8:30.  I like to be a few minutes early for class.


I got to school.  A lady stopped her car in the middle of the road, and I had to stop quickly.  I almost honked my horn, but then I thought, "NO KATIE, YOU DON'T KNOW  WHO YOUR TEACHERS ARE YET, THAT COULD BE YOUR TEACHER!!!"  So I didn't honk.  That would be a bad way to start out the semester.


I parked my car, and walked into the building.  My school does this funny thing where they don't tell us where our classes are going to be held until you get into class on the first day.  There is a computer screen in the Nursing Office/Lobby with a schedule of classes.  I went to the computer and wrote on my note card where all three of my classes were going to be and headed to my class.


Theory, Reason, and Research was first.  It was good-ish.  No exams or quizzes.  Just papers and projects.  She let us out early, so that was good.


Families/OB/Mother Baby - I've heard it called all these things, was next.  I really enjoyed it.  I like pregnancy/ women's health/ fetal development.  The teacher was really excited and made it exciting.  I'm glad, because I think I want to be a midwife.  I'm in the clinical section that meets starting in March, so I don't have to drive tomorrow morning at 6 am.  I don't mind waiting until it's a little warmer to go.


Lastly was Ethics.  We were supposed to meet from 4 to 7.  We started on time and went over the syllabus.  But they let our class out early because it was starting to snow/freezing rain.


I got home and almost fell asleep on the couch sitting up with my coat on because I was so tired.  Between classes then the stress of driving home (it wasn't that bad, just not very much visibility), I was tired.  Kaywa convinced me to play Wii Fit with her and then we ate dinner.


I think it was a pretty good day.  I'm excited for the ball to get rolling and everything to settle into a routine.  I'm a creature of habit.


"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

1 comment: