Saturday, January 15, 2011

Thoughts On Parenting

Since I can write about whatever tickles my fancy, I'm going to write about a concept that I think is silly (I would say stupid, but that's not a nice word).


Here's the concept.  Ready?


Let's go.


I've heard parents say, "I don't need to be a friend to my children.  I'm the parent.  Not a friend."


Now, I understand what they might mean by this.  Maybe they mean that they want their children to listen to them.  Maybe them mean they want they children to learn from them.


But I don't think that's what comes across to the children when they hear their parents say this or when parents parent like this.


When children are parented this way, I think children don't feel the love they need from their parents.  The children could not develop a close relationship with their parents if the parents are focused on being the boss.  Parenting is a lot more than just being the boss. (I'm a believer in attachment parenting, from home birth, to breastfeeding, and to homeschooling.)


Okay, now to relate my thoughts to the Bible.  God is Father ("There is but one God, the Father." 1 Corinthians 8:6).  We are a friend of God ("He was called the Friend of God." James 2:23).


Now if God can do it, we should strive for it.


"Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.  He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love." 1 John 4:7-8


P.S.  My parents parented me excellently.  If it weren't for their love, I wouldn't be able to do what I'm doing now.


P.P.S.  I think I'm pms-ing, and I'm feeling sappy.  I cried at the movie A League of Their Own and the very end of Holes today.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, gee Katie, that's the nicest thing I have ever heard.

    ReplyDelete