Monday, October 11, 2010

Access to Healthcare

Sooooo, I've been thinking.  What does it mean when people say that it should be a right to have access to healthcare?  As a healthcare provider in training, I am trying to see things in a more professional manner, or a more adult manner (more to come about me becoming an adult later).  I had an epiphany the other day.  Access to healthcare has nothing to do with insurance or a universal health care program.  It has to do with being able to see a health care professional when you need help.

For example, I went to South Dakota this summer.  There I saw how far people had drive to get to the only hospital on the reservation.  There was one hospital for a reservation the size of Connecticut.  Can you believe that?!?  I can think of 2 hospitals just in Prince William County, not including all the walk-in urgent care centers, the doctor's offices, and the new Minute Clinics (very nice idea).

Another example, the homeless.  What happens if they physically cannot get to a doctor or nurse practitioner?  They don't have cars or money to get on the bus.  They can get forgotten because they can't get to a professional.

It is just interesting.

I don't know what the answer is, but I like to talk about it.  Maybe I'll get an RV and travel around nursing the poor and sick and hurting.

Oh, by the way, I feel like that because Father God owns the cattle on a thousand hills and is the Kings of kings, money isn't much of an object.  God will provide the supply if I get off my butt and do something about it.


"Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." Matthew 25:40

No comments:

Post a Comment