Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Self Talk

You're not pretty enough.  You need to lose some weight.  You're not smart enough.  Why did you think you could do this?  Who do you think you are?  You're going to fail.  Stop wasting your time and just go home.

I fear I will be a success at being a failure, Kaywa happened to say this to me while I was writing this blog.

What? What??

No.

Today at the Narcotics Anonymous meeting I attended for my Psych/Mental Health clinical they mentioned negative self talk.  I got side tracked in my mind thinking about the effects that self talk has on a person, especially myself.  What good does it do me to think negatively about my situation when that is not truth.

The truth is: I am more than a conqueror (Romans 8:37), I can understand science (Daniel 1:4), I am above and not beneath (Deuteronomy 28:13), The Lord will give me wisdom (James 1:5), I am a son of God (John 1:12).

I've been listening to this song by Superchick, yeah, I know its old, but I like it anyways.  Here's some of the lyrics: 

It's not about success
Life is not a test
You don't pass or fail
You just do your best
To see the view from wings of courage
To push on through when we're discouraged
It's all about the try
All about the ride
Learning how you were meant to touch the sky
Failures are fliers who touch down
Only they know what it's like to leave the ground

So what?  I can use http://www.blueletterbible.org/ and find some nice scriptures that pull on my heart strings, and tickle my fancy, and impress you with my knowledge of scripture.  I can put up some inspirational (at least to me) song lyrics.  I could even quote a movie or two that make me want to take over the world for God. But what good is that?  What does it matter if I can quote the scripture or sing some song if it doesn't change my life?

Step 1 to my life/mindset change:  Write a scripture on my bathroom mirror; I'm starting with James 1:5.
Step 2: Think that scripture instead of talking to myself.

That's it for now.  As the N.A. participants said: God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Change my heart Oh God, make it ever true.  Change my heart Oh God, may I be like you.  You are the potter, I am the clay.  Mold me and make me.  This is what I pray.

"That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand." 2 Thessalonians 2:2 

2 comments:

  1. I thought that you meant I had said those awful things to you. But then I kept reading and was all..."oooohhhh." :)

    I like this one by the way. Let;s write on my mirror tonight...ok? ok. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful stuff Katie!

    ReplyDelete