Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Read between the lines

I took 4 tests today, and only 2 of the grades are posted in Blackboard!!!

I've been looking for my grades obsessively since I took the tests first thing this morning.

Its really interesting how students talk about tests right after the test and then after the grades are posted.

Scenario1:
Student 1 - How was that test?
Student 2 - Eh. How was it for you?
Student 1 - Easy, I think.  I hope I'm not over confident though.

This is what they should have said:
Student 1 - That test sucked.
Student 2 - I thought so too!  I'm glad you said it first.
Student 1 - That teacher is crazy.


Scenario 2:
Student 1 - That was the easiest midterm ever!
Student 2 - I thought so too.  What was the answer to that tyramine question?
Student 1 - Red wine.
Student 3 - No, hot chocolate.
Student 2 - I don't remember what I put.

What they wanted to say:
Student 1- I wasted 5 hours on Sunday studying for that stupid test.
Student 2 - That study guide was lame. What was the answer to that tyramine question?
Student 1 - Screw that.  Who cares?
Student 3 - I wish I had some food with tyramine in it. (LOL)
Student 2 - Let's get some after class.

Scenario 3:
Student 1 - That test was awful.
Student 2 - It wasn't that bad.
Student 1 - I studied a lot.
Student 2 - I made sure I got a good night's sleep.

What they really meant:
Student 1 - I DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING!
Student 2 - ME EITHER, WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT?
Student 1 - I watched a Dr. Quinn marathon yesterday.
Student 2 - I made lasagna and petted alpaca this weekend.

Scenario 4:
Student 1 - I got an 89% on the quiz. What did you get?
Student 2 - Eh, I don't want to tell you.
Student 3 - I got a 93%.
Student 1 - Good for you.

What they were thinking:
Student 1 - I'm going to volunteer some information hoping to get some information out of you .  I got an 89%.
Student 2 - I failed and don't want to tell anyone. ~OR~  I got an 100% and don't really want to rub it in your face.
Student 3 - I'm definitely happy with my low A.
Student 1 - I need some chocolate. 

Just remember to read between the lines.

"For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known." Luke 12:2

1 comment: